I wonder how many are still subscribed to this blog after about 7 years!
During the ILCA 4 annd ILCA 6 world championships in Aarhus this year, I was coaching with John Diedrichs who was developing teaching aids and coaching tools during the regatta. So I was inspired to try using AI to build my own teaching aids. I eventually intend to make some that are easy to use and not so technical, but I’m not there yet. This is an image of an App/website that John made allows you to build a start line and display just how much advantage is gained or lost on either side.
John was using ChatGPT, so I thought I would try with Claude. My first effort was to make some realistic flow visualizations of ILCA Centreboards and sails. It came out WAY too technical, but you might still enjoy clicking around:
There is a button that you might miss to change from centreboards to sails.
In an effort to try different things and make them relevant to the sailors I am working with, my second effort has been a click-through rule situation with details available in English and Norwegian. I did have to correct a few mistakes that the AI made because I do know my rules, but when I corrected something, it often made additional relevant improvements to things like the animation when it realized that I cared about overlapping and collisions etc. I made quite a few iterations of this one, but Foil lab ⬆️ was not many iterations, so maybe an aerodynamics professional can help me catch any mistakes!
Here is the rules situation teaching aid that I made:
https://room-to-tack-duck.netlify.app/
I am definitely conflicted about using AI because I understand that it has a huge environmental cost, so I am not wild about it, but I did want to get to know it as a teaching tool.
Happy sailing!

No comments:
Post a Comment